How To Configure a SQL Server ODBC Connection to a Remote Database How to create an ODBC connection and connect vCenter Server to a preconfigured SQL Server 2005 database.
1. From your vCenter Server system desktop, select Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC). 2. Click System DSN tab and click Add. 3. Select the SQL Native Client driver. 4. Click Finish. 5. When prompted by the Create a New Data Source to SQL Server Wizard, enter the values below:
a. Fill in the Name field. b. Fill in the Description. You can type in vCenter Server Database. c. Fill in the Server field by entering the host name of the SQL Server. If you see more than one SQL server in the list, make sure that you enter the correct SQL server name. d. The UNC user account you logged in with appears in the Login ID field. e. For the field Connect to SQL Server to obtain default settings for the additional configuration options, leave the check box selected. f. Change the default database to your assigned database (and not the master database).
6. Click Test Data Source. If the test does not complete successfully, back up in the ODBC wizard and verify the information you entered. 7. Click OK to return to ODBC Microsoft SQL Server Setup dialog box. 8. Click OK to return to the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box. Verify that your new data source appears in the list of system DSNs. 9. Click OK to close the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box.
How To Install vCenter Server
1. Go to location of the vCenter Server installation software. 2. Start VMware vCenter Installer:
- If you have an ISO image or physical CD-ROM mounted on the vCenter Server system’s CD-ROM drive and autorun is enabled, the installer main window appears.
- For files that are unzipped from a Zip archive or that are on a network share, open the directory containing the files and double-click autorun.exe file. 3. Click vCenter Server link. 4. When prompted by installation wizard, do the following:
a. Select the setup language and click OK. b. Click Next (Welcome Page). c. Click Next (End-User Patent Agreement). d. Select I agree to the terms in the license agreement and click Next (License Agreement). e. Type in your User Name. f. Type in your Organization. Click Next. g. Type in the License key and click Next. h. If you are not connecting to a remote database, select Install a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express instance and click Next.
If you are connecting to a remote database, select Use an existing supported database, select your DSN and click Next.
-In the second Database Options dialog box , type in your Database Username. Enter your Database password.
-If a warning appears about reinitializing the database, select Replace my existing database with an empty one. If you are installing vCenter Server for the first time, you will not see this warning. i. Select Use SYSTEM Account and click Next (vCenter Server Service). j. Accept the default Destination Folder and click Next. k. Accept the default vCenter Server Linked Mode Options and click Next. l. Accept the defaults Configure Ports and click Next. m. Accept the default vCenter Server JVM Memory and click Next. n. Click Install (Ready to Install the Program).
5. When installation is complete, click Finish to exit wizard. 6. Close VMware vCenter Installer window.
How To Install the vSphere Client on the vCenter Server System
How to install the VMware vSphere Client on your vCenter Server system and verify that installation was successful.
1. Go to location of the vCenter Server installation software. 2. Start VMware vCenter Installer. 3. In Vmware vCetner Installer window, click vSphere Client to start installation wizard. 4. When prompted by the installation wizard, do the following: a. Select the setup language. b. Click Next (Welcome page). c. Click Next (End-User Patent Agreement). d. Select I agree to the terms in the license agreement and click Next. e. Type in your User Name. f. Type in your Organization and click Next. g. Select your Destination Folder and click Next. h. Click Install (Ready to Install the Program). 5. Click Finish when the installation is complete. 6. Close VMware vCenter Installer window. 7. Log in to the vCenter Server with the vSphere Client. a. Double-click the vSphere Client icon on your vCenter Server system. b. In the vSphere Client login dialog box, enter your vCetner Server system IP address or host name in IP address/Name and select the use Windows session credentials check box. c. Click Login. d. Select Install this certificate and do not display any security warnings for “<host_name>” to prevent this warning from being displayed in the future. e. Click Ignore to proceed with the connection. f. Click OK when the VMware Evaluation Notice window appears, warning that your evaluation license expires within 60 days. 8. Verify that the Hosts and Clusters inventory view is displayed. 9. In the vSphere Client menu bar, select File > Exit to close the vSphere Client. 10. Log out of vCenter Server system.